Skip to main content

Whole-Hearted Devotion

Sunday, February 2, 2014

God asks that we be wholeheartedly devoted to him.  Such devotion comes with a price though - obedience to his word.  However, a relationship with God is like marriage.  There is a price that comes with marriage - commitment to one person for eternity, not straying, not sinning against that person.  But is that really even a cost, when you get to spend the rest of your life with the person you love?  Those are just things you automatically want to do, and the reward so outweighs the "cost".

This past week was very intense.  All I've been able to say about DTS so far is that it is good, but hard.  Very hard, but very good.  Nothing easy, no real breaks.  Just constant intensity.  Our topic this past week was Repentance and Forgiveness.  We spent the week discussing how God desires a personal relationship with him and what is required from us for that to happen is whole-hearted devotion.  Sin gets in the way of that and we need to repent (the greek word means to have a new mind - We need to have a total change of mind and heart, changing our ways entirely) and obey God.  We need to come to God with humility and a true desire to be close to him.

Our application day (you learned all this stuff, now use it!) was on Friday.  We did group confession, which is about as terrifying as it sounds, but has much better results than you would expect.  We were all scared to bare our souls to each other, afraid of judgement, but what really happened was an amazing time of coming together in unity and support for each other.  We were able to receive forgiveness from God for things we had done and release forgiveness to people we were holding grudges against.  There was lots and lots and lots of prayer.  It was really powerful.

We were really exhausted, physically and emotionally, by the end of the week.  I'm sensing a trend...

Elections were held today in Thailand.  It's a very complicated situation here, with all the governmental things and political whatnot.  There have been demonstrations and shoot outs and all sorts of fun things going on.  We still haven't heard the results of the election, although they were basically predetermined anyways.  We are hoping that all the sketchy stuff will be dying down now though and we can finally venture into downtown Bangkok!

Prayer Requests:
strength - we are starting Intercession and Spiritual Warfare week!

continued and strengthened unity in our group

- personal growth in my relationship with God and strengthening of my faith

Comments

  1. Wow! Your first paragraph was almost exactly what I've been going through and about to write myself! So great to hear about all the things that you are experiencing on the other side of our world. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Thailand!

On Friday, November 29, 2013 I was officially accepted to the CARM DTS in Bangkok, Thailand!  I saw the email and said, "Huh."  A little underwhelming of a response, I know.  But I had just been so stressed out for so long, being unable to make plans for my trip and frustration had been building.  So seeing my acceptance was more of an exasperated "Finally!", than a "Yay, I get to go!".  Of course, the news started to sink in throughout the day and I began to get excited about going to Thailand for five months.  At least I was excited when I wasn't looking at the overload of information and extensive lists of things to do, sending me into full on panic attacks. Then I had to figure out how and where and when to apply for my visa.  We conveniently have a Thai Consulate right in Edmonton, so the how and where was very simple.  The when on the other hand - not so much.  My work schedule, which includes three respite families and Famoso, is difficult t

I'm Staying

Basically it's official. I'm staying here. I love it!!! I love the people!!! I am staying. Saturday was awesome. We went to the cast party for Eli's play. That was fun. The chili and cookies tasted so amazing! The best I have ever eaten. And everyone was so overtired... wearing bowls on their heads... talking with stuffed dogs... laughing hysterically at Pixar's shorts. And stupid things people said. Sunday I went to downtown Quito - the tourist area. Saw some gorgeous churches. I loved the Basilica. So intricately awesome. When I got home (it was just Uncle Earl, me and some other visitors) Nathan was here. That was fun. XD Whipped cream... water... all over... yeah. Today I had my first Spanish lesson. It went pretty well. The teacher is really nice. It was mostly review, but some new stuff as well. Went to the first half of the soccer game, before we had to go shopping for snacks for this weekend. It was such an intense game. 2-0, for the other t

The Mountains and Valleys of India

Sunday, May 25, 2014 An overview of our outreach time in India - it's a bit of a long one.  India ended up being a very mixed experience for me.  Darjeeling really was beautiful and we were able to be involved in several different ministries.  It was such great experience to see such a variety of ministries. I went to a children's slum ministry, where the kids ranged in age from around 1 to 12, mostly falling into the 5ish area.  There were about 40 kids packed into a room slightly bigger than my living room (which is not big enough for 10 people sitting, let alone 40 brawling children).  Despite the utter chaos, we were still able to act out Daniel and the Lions' Den (I was one of the bad advisors.  It was a real big hit when I was eaten.), play some games (still not entirely sure how that was accomplished), do a lion mask craft (lions are now green, purple, blue and covered in flower patterns) and hand out snack.  It was over so quickly and all just went by in a blur