Skip to main content

Announcing Outreach Locations!

Monday, February 10, 2014

My previous post was a short story I wrote based on my first couple weeks here - the journey I went through with God in that time, and some pictures he gave to me during an intense time of forgiveness and breakthrough.

And now, for the announcement of our outreach locations!!

We will be spending the first two weeks of outreach in BATTAMBANG, CAMBODIA.  Then we will be coming back for a week to SOMEWHERE IN THAILAND that is close to our current location.  Then we will be splitting into our Music DTS and Children at Risk DTS groups.  For four weeks, Music will go to Kolkata, and CAR will be going to DARJEELING, INDIA (think northern India, up in the mountains!).  Then, all together again, we will go to SOMEWHERE IN MALAYSIA.  We are so excited to be traveling to so many different places!

This has been a pretty intense week.  With a topic like Intercession and Spiritual Warfare, though, I guess that's to be expected.  (Ok, I know I say every week is intense, but this week was more of a struggle for me.)

Something that really stuck out to me this week was the importance and the power of prayer.  God wants a personal relationship with us, so of course he wants us to talk to him.  Prayer is a two-way conversation.  Communication is how relationships work.  But it's more than just talking with God.  Intercession is so important.  When we intercede for something or someone, what we're doing is "standing in the gap".  We bring God and the problem together.  We advocate to God for that situation.  And our prayers do hold real power.  Sometimes a simple prayer is all that's needed for God to release his power on earth and cause really big things to happen.

Something really cool happened with intercession this week.  Our "intercession day" is Thursday - all of ARK comes together for a little while in the morning to pray.  Our focus this week was Thailand, and specifically Bangkok and the community we go into.  We spent the morning praying that God would "open the gates" - that there would be opportunities for us to do great things for God and that his love would be shown to the people of Thailand.

ARK has had their eye on this one building in the community to purchase as a community center to run programs and school there.  Up until now, they didn't even know who owned the building or who they could talk to find out - nothing.  On Friday, we were supposed to have our youth night in the community, but when our team got there we found out there had been some miscommunication and all the kids had gone to another program at a different church.  It was suggested that we drive by the building to pray over it.  As we drive up to it, we see a man there burning brush in front of the building.  Our leader was able to talk to him and find out that it is owned by the government, and while it's not for sale, we could see about renting it.  We asked if we could walk around the building (to pray over it).  There was this one open-air staircase that led up to the roof, so we got to look in through the grimy windows on our way up to the roof.  We could see all around the building - it was right in the middle of everything.

Just yesterday we had been praying for open doors and a light in the community, and now here we were, standing on top of the building we want for a community center and talking to a man who has some solid information for us.  It was an amazing answer to prayer, and we can't wait to see what God will continue to do with it, as we continue to pray.

I did mention that this week was a struggle.  The spiritual warfare part of the week was full of information - not overloading, just very in depth.  Really talking about spiritual warfare goes so much farther than we are used to as Christians just sitting at home.  Sometimes it is so frustrating to see how little we know and are taught.  My four weeks here have already taught me so much and turned my view of Christianity upside down.  Let me tell you, we are doing it wrong.  In so many ways.  We are stuck on the beginner stuff and need to go deeper, and we need people who are willing and able to take us deeper.  And our focus is all wrong.  Christianity is not about getting everything right.  We screw up.  People sin.  All people.  That is not something to hide or be ashamed of.  What does need to happen is that we need to look past the faults to the person who just needs unconditional love.  That is how things change.  Judgement and condemnation only serve to make things worse.  Judging and condemning is not our job.  We are called to love.

Getting off my soapbox now, and back on track to where I was originally headed... This week was a struggle.  We talked about the unseen world (God, Satan, angels, demons) and how there is a constant battle going on around us, and in us.  We talked about the issues we can allow in our lives that make it easier for the devil to really screw us up.  A topic that applies to me kept coming up in class.  It was something I knew about and had kind of come to an agreement of sorts with God before.  And then all of a sudden it kept getting thrown at me last week, and I was not impressed.  So I was having some very serious discussions with God, waiting to hear from him.  It was hard for me to hear from him this week.  So I was just super emotional all week, wrestling with God.  That is exhausting.

It turns out that my issue wasn't that I needed to give something up, I just needed an attitude check.  Again.  God reminded me that surrender means putting him first and giving everything over to his control - not giving everything up in life.  I just need to remember that God is in control and I can't do anything by myself.

This weekend was really cool!  On Saturday afternoon, our ARK director invited us over to his outdoor salt water pool.  Yeah, it was awesome.  That night, most of us went to downtown Bangkok (DOWNTOWN BANGKOK!  WE FINALLY MADE IT!) for church.  The church was right in the midst of all these massage parlors ("massage parlors"?).  It was a super cute little hole in the wall, very cozy, with pillows to sit on and hipster decor.  The worship was great and the service was so relaxed.  Some of us went down to a little market after for some snacks.  It was so fun just getting to see some of downtown!  The mysterious, elusive downtown!  I love the lights of the city.

On Sunday night, some of us went to an operatic gala!  It was so amazing!  The conductor has written 10 operas of his own (they performed some excerpts from his newest production), as well as some books - yeah, he's super talented.  The orchestra was great.  There were some really talented opera singers, some Young Soloists and the cutest little 9 year old boy who was so talented!  It was a really incredible experience, going to the opera in Thailand.

All in all, it was another great week in Thailand.  :)

Prayer Requests

health - people keep getting sick; I'm still struggling with the whole weird hungry thing

sleep - I wake up around 3-6 times a night, during my very restless sleep, which makes for a sucky, unrestful sleep.  Every.  Night.

strength and faith to surrender my life to God

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Thailand!

On Friday, November 29, 2013 I was officially accepted to the CARM DTS in Bangkok, Thailand!  I saw the email and said, "Huh."  A little underwhelming of a response, I know.  But I had just been so stressed out for so long, being unable to make plans for my trip and frustration had been building.  So seeing my acceptance was more of an exasperated "Finally!", than a "Yay, I get to go!".  Of course, the news started to sink in throughout the day and I began to get excited about going to Thailand for five months.  At least I was excited when I wasn't looking at the overload of information and extensive lists of things to do, sending me into full on panic attacks. Then I had to figure out how and where and when to apply for my visa.  We conveniently have a Thai Consulate right in Edmonton, so the how and where was very simple.  The when on the other hand - not so much.  My work schedule, which includes three respite families and Famoso, is difficult t

I'm Staying

Basically it's official. I'm staying here. I love it!!! I love the people!!! I am staying. Saturday was awesome. We went to the cast party for Eli's play. That was fun. The chili and cookies tasted so amazing! The best I have ever eaten. And everyone was so overtired... wearing bowls on their heads... talking with stuffed dogs... laughing hysterically at Pixar's shorts. And stupid things people said. Sunday I went to downtown Quito - the tourist area. Saw some gorgeous churches. I loved the Basilica. So intricately awesome. When I got home (it was just Uncle Earl, me and some other visitors) Nathan was here. That was fun. XD Whipped cream... water... all over... yeah. Today I had my first Spanish lesson. It went pretty well. The teacher is really nice. It was mostly review, but some new stuff as well. Went to the first half of the soccer game, before we had to go shopping for snacks for this weekend. It was such an intense game. 2-0, for the other t

The Mountains and Valleys of India

Sunday, May 25, 2014 An overview of our outreach time in India - it's a bit of a long one.  India ended up being a very mixed experience for me.  Darjeeling really was beautiful and we were able to be involved in several different ministries.  It was such great experience to see such a variety of ministries. I went to a children's slum ministry, where the kids ranged in age from around 1 to 12, mostly falling into the 5ish area.  There were about 40 kids packed into a room slightly bigger than my living room (which is not big enough for 10 people sitting, let alone 40 brawling children).  Despite the utter chaos, we were still able to act out Daniel and the Lions' Den (I was one of the bad advisors.  It was a real big hit when I was eaten.), play some games (still not entirely sure how that was accomplished), do a lion mask craft (lions are now green, purple, blue and covered in flower patterns) and hand out snack.  It was over so quickly and all just went by in a blur