Skip to main content

Meeting Clara

The last assignment in my writing course was a memoir/narrative.  I honestly had such a difficult time choosing an event in my life to write about.  There was so much to choose from, but at the same time I couldn't think of anything worth putting into a story that people would want to read.  So I picked the most recent, emotionally charged event in my life.  In September I went to Edmonton Expo with a few of my very best friends. And this is the tale of what happened (cut down to approximately 800 words...it started out at 1300, and that still didn't include all the details...).  (Shout out to Alex for his pro editing skills - you da bomb diggity.)

Meeting Clara
                This was it - I was going down.  My body was swaying and my vision was going dark.  It had gotten to be too much and I was seriously going to pass out.
                Anticipation for this moment had been building for weeks and now it was finally here.  I was not going to miss it for anything, especially not something as minor as weakness of body.  By sheer force of will, this was going to be the greatest moment of my life, and I was going to be awake for it.  I was going to meet Jenna Coleman.
                My Doctor Who interest (okay, obsession; let's call it what it is) had begun a few months earlier.  My nerd cred had been previously incomplete and I needed to add the show about the time traveling mad man with a box to my repertoire.  Even more rapidly than I expected, I became fully invested in the plots and developed intense feelings (both friendly and romantic) for the characters.  But it was more than your run of the mill fan girl preoccupation.  There was something more to this show. 
                Being a fairly avid TV watcher, I had related to several characters through my life, seeing bits of myself in them.  I was never quite as good as they were though.  I always aspired to be as beautiful or smart or cool as the ones that I most looked up to.  But then came the day that Clara Oswald was introduced onto the show.
                I WAS Clara.  In absolutely every way.  Every quirk she had, every mannerism, everything she said, every way she responded in every situation - it was exactly what I would have done.  Watching Clara, I never had to wish I could be as smart as her to come up with a clever plan, or be as witty as her to come up with sharp retorts, or be as cool as her to be worthy of being the Doctor's companion.  Jenna Coleman's character made me see that I was exactly the kind of person that could do impossible things.  I was important.  I was Clara, and Clara was me.
                Finally the day of the Edmonton Comic and Entertainment Expo arrived.  Jenna Coleman was making an appearance and I was scheduled for a photo op with her.  That morning I was running on pure adrenaline.  I selected an outfit similar to one that Clara wore, did my hair and makeup like she did, and bounded ecstatically around my house while I waited for my friends to pick me up.
                As we drove into the city, my entire body was shaking and the Doctor Who theme song was playing on repeat in my mind.  My behavior provided endless entertainment for my friends.  Daniel didn't understand my flustered state, but Alex couldn't stop laughing at me.  Elated exclamations flowed from my mouth without check about how incredibly excited I was to meet Clara!  I was going to get a picture with Clara!  I WAS Clara!  Clara!!
                Alex was joining me in the photo op, while the others went off to explore the Expo.  The moment I entered the building, my nerd heart lit up and the biggest smile broke across my face.  We found our spot in line and I immediately started to shake.  My body was vibrating so violently, I was afraid I was going to shatter across the floor.  Suddenly, I couldn't breathe, and everything halted.
                My vision narrowed and the noises around me grew muffled.  I could feel my body begin to sway backwards.  In a panic, I reached out and clutched at Alex's arm.  
                "Alex.  I need to calm down," I gasped.
                "You're right," he chuckled.
                I made him promise to not let me pass out before we met Jenna Coleman.  He ensured I was steady and handed me his water to sip on.  Through the rest of the line, I attempted to keep my chattering and vibrating and hyperventilating to a minimum.  Honestly, it didn't really work, but I did succeed in staying fully conscious.
                Finally, the time came.  We were shown past the curtain (WE WERE SO CLOSE), made to stand behind a line until our turn (THERE SHE WAS), directed up beside her ("Hi", "Hi"), the picture was taken (I TOUCHED HER ARM), and then we were ushered out.
                That was it.  After weeks of anticipation, hours of suffering, the fear of being unconscious...it was over.  I had met her? I think?  It had happened, right?  Yes, here was the picture to prove it.  There was me, standing right next to my idol, Jenna Coleman.  Her smile looked a little tired.  Well, mine would too, if I had to stand there and smile for hundreds of pictures.  

                I thought actually meeting her, and in such an anti-climactic way, would diminish my view of Jenna, my view of Clara.  But it didn't.  If anything, it affirmed in my mind that she really was just a regular person.  I really was Clara.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Thailand!

On Friday, November 29, 2013 I was officially accepted to the CARM DTS in Bangkok, Thailand!  I saw the email and said, "Huh."  A little underwhelming of a response, I know.  But I had just been so stressed out for so long, being unable to make plans for my trip and frustration had been building.  So seeing my acceptance was more of an exasperated "Finally!", than a "Yay, I get to go!".  Of course, the news started to sink in throughout the day and I began to get excited about going to Thailand for five months.  At least I was excited when I wasn't looking at the overload of information and extensive lists of things to do, sending me into full on panic attacks. Then I had to figure out how and where and when to apply for my visa.  We conveniently have a Thai Consulate right in Edmonton, so the how and where was very simple.  The when on the other hand - not so much.  My work schedule, which includes three respite families and Famoso, is difficult t

The Mountains and Valleys of India

Sunday, May 25, 2014 An overview of our outreach time in India - it's a bit of a long one.  India ended up being a very mixed experience for me.  Darjeeling really was beautiful and we were able to be involved in several different ministries.  It was such great experience to see such a variety of ministries. I went to a children's slum ministry, where the kids ranged in age from around 1 to 12, mostly falling into the 5ish area.  There were about 40 kids packed into a room slightly bigger than my living room (which is not big enough for 10 people sitting, let alone 40 brawling children).  Despite the utter chaos, we were still able to act out Daniel and the Lions' Den (I was one of the bad advisors.  It was a real big hit when I was eaten.), play some games (still not entirely sure how that was accomplished), do a lion mask craft (lions are now green, purple, blue and covered in flower patterns) and hand out snack.  It was over so quickly and all just went by in a blur

The Best Week of Your Life

"The Best Week of Your Life."  It's the tag line for Young Life camp, and it truly is not an exaggeration.  Last year was my first time at RockRidge Canyon (the camp in Princeton, BC where we take our group of teens every summer), and it far exceeded my expectations.  Everyone can tell you that RRC is the best place on earth and that camp is the best week of your life, but it's a completely different thing to experience it first hand.  My first time at camp I remember as a total whirlwind of activity and adventure.  It was a week long party and I loved every second of it.  I was excited to go and excited to be there and somehow my excitement/energy level remained at 110% all week. This year though, was a bit of a different story.  Being on a Summer Grant with Young Life this year, I was working on a lot more of the behind the scenes projects, and saw how much work truly goes into a week at camp (as well as the other duties of running the ministry at home and prepar