Skip to main content

New Year, New Beginnings

Starting over can be messy.  That’s exactly how I would describe my 2015 so far – messy.  Already this year has held a massive amount of heartbreak and change for me.  As I look back on all that’s passed, that’s really the first thing to come to mind.  How messy.  I have really made a mess of things.

Life doesn’t really seem to care how much I may have going in my life at once (and I will tell you right now, that I always have a lot going on – probably at least 1.5-2 times as much as is healthy for a normal person).  Life doesn’t care – in fact it seems to enjoy constantly throwing more and more things at me.  Very often those things come completely out of the blue.  Because being prepared for something would be cheating. 

As life threw new things at me, decisions needed to be made.  And as more and more things were thrown, my decision making ability decreased.  Rapidly.  Until it seemed that nearly every decision I made was the wrong one.  I was sinking deeper and deeper into this quagmire of my own creation.  And then, over one weekend, everything exploded.

I won’t get into the messy details here.  But I can say that despite all the pain these things brought, I am so thankful they happened.  I’ve learned (or been reminded of) some pretty important lessons.

1) I have the most beautiful and amazing and supportive friends.  You know who you are.  Extra special shout out to Olivia.  You are such an incredible woman of God and are such a blessing in my life.  Thank you for being there with hugs and words of encouragement and kicks-in-the-pants and movies and prayers.  I love you.

2) I am a super imperfect person.  Like, wow, can I screw stuff up good!  Really guys, you don’t even know.  My ability to make poor decisions is top notch.  But despite all that, God still loves me.  Incredibly, unbelievably much.  He knows all about me and all that I’ve done.  And that doesn’t change his love for me even a little bit.  I’ve been reading Song of Solomon lately, for a couple reasons.  1. I needed a laugh and “Your hair is like a flock of goats descending from the hills of Gilead” will never not be funny, and 2. I needed to be reminded of what God thinks of me and how he feels about me.  He calls me beautiful and beloved.  I have stolen his heart.  He loves me so passionately.  It’s overwhelming.

3) God gives such good things.  I have been feeling pain and sadness...but amidst all that I have had such a profound sense of peace and joy.  And there’s no way I would be feeling these things if God wasn’t giving them to me.

Starting over can be messy.  Starting over can be painful.  But starting over can be so good.


As I’m setting out on this new beginning, I’m keeping my focus on God and making my relationship with him a priority.  We’re cleaning up my mess together and finding the beauty in the chaos.

...For love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave.  It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame.  Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away. 
- Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Thailand!

On Friday, November 29, 2013 I was officially accepted to the CARM DTS in Bangkok, Thailand!  I saw the email and said, "Huh."  A little underwhelming of a response, I know.  But I had just been so stressed out for so long, being unable to make plans for my trip and frustration had been building.  So seeing my acceptance was more of an exasperated "Finally!", than a "Yay, I get to go!".  Of course, the news started to sink in throughout the day and I began to get excited about going to Thailand for five months.  At least I was excited when I wasn't looking at the overload of information and extensive lists of things to do, sending me into full on panic attacks. Then I had to figure out how and where and when to apply for my visa.  We conveniently have a Thai Consulate right in Edmonton, so the how and where was very simple.  The when on the other hand - not so much.  My work schedule, which includes three respite families and Famoso, is difficult t

I'm Staying

Basically it's official. I'm staying here. I love it!!! I love the people!!! I am staying. Saturday was awesome. We went to the cast party for Eli's play. That was fun. The chili and cookies tasted so amazing! The best I have ever eaten. And everyone was so overtired... wearing bowls on their heads... talking with stuffed dogs... laughing hysterically at Pixar's shorts. And stupid things people said. Sunday I went to downtown Quito - the tourist area. Saw some gorgeous churches. I loved the Basilica. So intricately awesome. When I got home (it was just Uncle Earl, me and some other visitors) Nathan was here. That was fun. XD Whipped cream... water... all over... yeah. Today I had my first Spanish lesson. It went pretty well. The teacher is really nice. It was mostly review, but some new stuff as well. Went to the first half of the soccer game, before we had to go shopping for snacks for this weekend. It was such an intense game. 2-0, for the other t

The Mountains and Valleys of India

Sunday, May 25, 2014 An overview of our outreach time in India - it's a bit of a long one.  India ended up being a very mixed experience for me.  Darjeeling really was beautiful and we were able to be involved in several different ministries.  It was such great experience to see such a variety of ministries. I went to a children's slum ministry, where the kids ranged in age from around 1 to 12, mostly falling into the 5ish area.  There were about 40 kids packed into a room slightly bigger than my living room (which is not big enough for 10 people sitting, let alone 40 brawling children).  Despite the utter chaos, we were still able to act out Daniel and the Lions' Den (I was one of the bad advisors.  It was a real big hit when I was eaten.), play some games (still not entirely sure how that was accomplished), do a lion mask craft (lions are now green, purple, blue and covered in flower patterns) and hand out snack.  It was over so quickly and all just went by in a blur