Skip to main content

My Home and Native Land

I have been home for a month and ten days now.  It feels strange.  Like I'm just stopping back at my birthplace before I head out on my next great adventure.  But at the same time I don't feel out of place here.  I've never been more happy to come home.  I've been having all sorts of mini adventures with my amazing family and friends.  2014 will be a year to remember, for a multitude of reasons.

Readjusting to life in Canada was (and is) a process, but wasn't nearly as difficult as I had anticipated.  I was prepared for the absolute worst in every aspect of my life and to be completely miserable...but I haven't.  And I can't decide if that's good or bad.  I wasn't prepared for everything to go so well, and frankly, I don't know how to handle it.  I was all set to have to work incredibly hard to fit back in with Canadian culture and reconnect with my friends and find a church and discover places to serve...but it all came so naturally.  When did life become so easy?

And therein lies the single hardship of returning home.  Everything is so easy, and I have been taking God for granted again.  I have been having quiet times, and have had several wonderful conversations with people about God and spiritual things.  But I'm not fighting for that depth of relationship that I know I want.

I really realized that this morning.  As I was listening to some worship music, my worldly desires grew instantly dim and I realized how badly I just wanted to be closer to God.  My purpose in life is to be like Him.  My purpose is to know Him.  And how can I do that if I'm not spending time with Him?

So here is my Halfway-Through-Summer Resolution: To schedule daily hangout times with God.  Real, in depth time with Him.  Where our conversation will go beyond, "Hey, thanks for the day."  Me and God, we're going deeper.  I'm excited to spend some much needed time with my best friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Week of Your Life

"The Best Week of Your Life."  It's the tag line for Young Life camp, and it truly is not an exaggeration.  Last year was my first time at RockRidge Canyon (the camp in Princeton, BC where we take our group of teens every summer), and it far exceeded my expectations.  Everyone can tell you that RRC is the best place on earth and that camp is the best week of your life, but it's a completely different thing to experience it first hand.  My first time at camp I remember as a total whirlwind of activity and adventure.  It was a week long party and I loved every second of it.  I was excited to go and excited to be there and somehow my excitement/energy level remained at 110% all week. This year though, was a bit of a different story.  Being on a Summer Grant with Young Life this year, I was working on a lot more of the behind the scenes projects, and saw how much work truly goes into a week at camp (as well as the other duties of running the ministry at home and prepar

Ode to Kado

One of our recent assignments was to write a short composition about dogs, so of course I had to write about one of the most important woofers in my life.  So, Kado, here's to you, you little sassypants. *photo credit to Travis T.  And also Kado, for being such a darn cute model.                 I lie down, but I am still wide awake.  I keep my eyes locked on the door and my head tilted, listening for any sound.  They’ve been gone for, I don’t know, at least twelve days if I had to take a guess.  I’ve been trapped here since they left, and I’m nearly out of food and water.  There’s no end in sight, and I’m beginning to lose hope.                 To pass the time I think back on the good ol’ days.  It seems like just yesterday we were passing the ball around, going for walks, cuddling on the couch, eating together, laughing together...just enjoying each other’s company.  What I wouldn’t give to be back in those times.  I sigh heavily.                 Life is tough for a

Going to Thailand!

On Friday, November 29, 2013 I was officially accepted to the CARM DTS in Bangkok, Thailand!  I saw the email and said, "Huh."  A little underwhelming of a response, I know.  But I had just been so stressed out for so long, being unable to make plans for my trip and frustration had been building.  So seeing my acceptance was more of an exasperated "Finally!", than a "Yay, I get to go!".  Of course, the news started to sink in throughout the day and I began to get excited about going to Thailand for five months.  At least I was excited when I wasn't looking at the overload of information and extensive lists of things to do, sending me into full on panic attacks. Then I had to figure out how and where and when to apply for my visa.  We conveniently have a Thai Consulate right in Edmonton, so the how and where was very simple.  The when on the other hand - not so much.  My work schedule, which includes three respite families and Famoso, is difficult t