Skip to main content

Normalcy

South East Asia Missionary Life

Some of the trivial and strange things that have come to be normal life over the past few months.

That moment when:

- you can't remember the last meal you had without rice

- toilet paper is no longer a necessity

- traffic back home will never seem bad again

- you discover that it is possible to live without wifi

- you run out of water

- you've had more bucket showers than real showers in the past month

- electricity just decides to go out sometimes

- you prefer to go to the market than an actual store

- you can't remember the last time you sat in the front seat of a car

- it's been an even longer time since you actually drove a car

- two outfits are all you need to get through three weeks

- you only shower once a week (it's cold in Darjeeling!)

- or you want to shower once an hour (it's HOT everywhere else!)

- you can't go a day without a tea break (Morning tea - the best time of day!)

- cars zooming past you no longer make your life flash before your eyes

- you get really good at charades

- you master the squatty potty

- you can't quite remember what your face looks like because you haven't seen a mirror in a while

- you flush the toilet by dumping a bucket of water into the bowl

- paying more than $2 for a meal is painfully expensive

- you start to get in pretty good shape just because you walk so many places

Today (or yesterday I guess...it's 1am now) was my last day in Thailand, and I was feeling terribly nostalgic.  I saw my last dehydrated frog flattened on the road.  I took the BTS and the bus for the last time.  I drank my last iced coffee from my favorite iced coffee guy and ate my last Pad Thai during my last time on Soi Ha Baht.  I took my final trip to Central Mall.

I've been saying goodbye to all the things that have become normal life for me over the past five months.  All those things that no longer feel new or foreign, but are merely a part of everyday life.

These past few days have been spent saying goodbye to the people who have become normal life to me, as well.  Literally 24/7, learning, working, playing, eating, sleeping and breathing with these people for the past five months.  And just like that, we leave for home, thousands of kilometers apart from the people that we haven't been able to get half a centimeter away from.  We've driven each other absolutely crazy and become the best of friends.

I'm going home to "normal life" in a few hours...but really it's not going to be normal life at all.  It's going to be freaky strange. It's all feeling really bittersweet right now, saying goodbye to the past five months of my life, and hello to...well at the least the next vaguely half-planned year of my life.  It's sad to leave this wild adventure that I've been on, but exciting to see the adventures ahead.  I'll be back in Canada very soon now, and the next phase of my life will begin.  And I'll be able to make a whole new list of strange and normal things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Thailand!

On Friday, November 29, 2013 I was officially accepted to the CARM DTS in Bangkok, Thailand!  I saw the email and said, "Huh."  A little underwhelming of a response, I know.  But I had just been so stressed out for so long, being unable to make plans for my trip and frustration had been building.  So seeing my acceptance was more of an exasperated "Finally!", than a "Yay, I get to go!".  Of course, the news started to sink in throughout the day and I began to get excited about going to Thailand for five months.  At least I was excited when I wasn't looking at the overload of information and extensive lists of things to do, sending me into full on panic attacks. Then I had to figure out how and where and when to apply for my visa.  We conveniently have a Thai Consulate right in Edmonton, so the how and where was very simple.  The when on the other hand - not so much.  My work schedule, which includes three respite families and Famoso, is difficult t

The Mountains and Valleys of India

Sunday, May 25, 2014 An overview of our outreach time in India - it's a bit of a long one.  India ended up being a very mixed experience for me.  Darjeeling really was beautiful and we were able to be involved in several different ministries.  It was such great experience to see such a variety of ministries. I went to a children's slum ministry, where the kids ranged in age from around 1 to 12, mostly falling into the 5ish area.  There were about 40 kids packed into a room slightly bigger than my living room (which is not big enough for 10 people sitting, let alone 40 brawling children).  Despite the utter chaos, we were still able to act out Daniel and the Lions' Den (I was one of the bad advisors.  It was a real big hit when I was eaten.), play some games (still not entirely sure how that was accomplished), do a lion mask craft (lions are now green, purple, blue and covered in flower patterns) and hand out snack.  It was over so quickly and all just went by in a blur

The Best Week of Your Life

"The Best Week of Your Life."  It's the tag line for Young Life camp, and it truly is not an exaggeration.  Last year was my first time at RockRidge Canyon (the camp in Princeton, BC where we take our group of teens every summer), and it far exceeded my expectations.  Everyone can tell you that RRC is the best place on earth and that camp is the best week of your life, but it's a completely different thing to experience it first hand.  My first time at camp I remember as a total whirlwind of activity and adventure.  It was a week long party and I loved every second of it.  I was excited to go and excited to be there and somehow my excitement/energy level remained at 110% all week. This year though, was a bit of a different story.  Being on a Summer Grant with Young Life this year, I was working on a lot more of the behind the scenes projects, and saw how much work truly goes into a week at camp (as well as the other duties of running the ministry at home and prepar